Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon

Well the 1/2 Marathon has come and gone... I always figured it would be harder than it was. You really don't have to kill yourself, it's not even as long as it sounds. That being said, the recovery time, would tell a conflicting story. My knees were pretty soar for about 5 days after the run.

About two and a half years ago, I trained for a 10k which is less than half the distance of this race. When I finished, I just kept running till I found a trash can, and I puked my guts out.

Now it's not like I've been training for 2.5 years straight for this, I only decided to run in it late November, and in the 1.5 months I had to train, I only ran 6 times (see the training log at the bottom of this entry). Though the training helped me build some muscle, endurance, and helped me find my style and pace, I think that there were two factors that really helped me out on this one that happened outside of the realm of training.

First off, I lost 40-50 lbs over the last 2 years, which makes a HUGE difference. When you can carry 170 lbs, compared to 220, its a world of difference.

Secondly, I read I book on how to run. It promoted the idea that running style was not all it was cracked up to be, that if you cared what people thought of you when they saw you, you would look better, but waste energy and cause injury. I focussed a lot of my training on finding as style that would keep my ankles, knees, and back comfortable, and would minimize the work I spent bobbing up and down. I tried to spend all my energy moving forward. I think that it really worked out. Day 4 of my training was the first day I figured out the style that I used in the marathon.

Anyway, it was a good experience, I don't feel as accomplished as I thought I would, but it felt pretty good to cross the finish line.

For anyone who is interested, here is my GPS training logs:

No comments: