Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Suicide Lane Junkies

Perhaps it is the nature of my drive home, or maybe the conditions I observe exist everywhere, but the drivers that I observe day in and day out seem notoriously bad.

I take the surface streets home because I work less than six miles from home, but because of the mountainous terrain, the traffic conditions are always crowded, and usually people get antsy when they are stuck in one place for too long. To make matters worse, the neighborhoods that I drive through are largely populated with people of bellow average income. Which, regardless of it's merit, I associate with wreckless driving.

Every day, I would wait patiently in traffic, as I watched hundreds of my fellow drivers breaking the law, and using the suicide lane in a manner that helps justify it's nick name. instead of waiting in traffic, until it was legal to enter a left turn lane, they would just drive 50mph down the suicide lane. This always made me cringe, especially when you would see others doing it, because they felt justified after seeing their peers doing it.

I was overjoyed when I saw that they had added some barricades to the suicide lane to prevent this. So much so, that I took my camera out to take a picture of it for the blog. But I had a hard time getting a shot of it, because so many people were driving around it, into oncoming traffic, to try to get home quicker. I switched to video mode for your entertainment.

Drive safe, And remember that you are accountable for your actions, not the idiots that you imitate.

No comments: