Monday, August 06, 2007

youtube.com vs brightcove.com

Ben recently pointed out that the quality of the video on youtube was less than ideal. I totally agree after watching them again.

When I watch them locally, the videos look pretty good. Especially when you consider they were taken from my point and shoot camera. So in the interest of a blog post, I thought I'd compare what I upload to youtube.com, with brightcove.com (a slower, less popular video service)

Here are the results:

Youtube.com (link)


Brightcove.com (link)


I think that there is actually quite a big difference in quality. The other thing that's worth noting is that with both of these services, there is a delay after you upload before you can view. And when I uploaded to birghtcove, it said:
We've got your video and are processing it to make it look great.
This might take a few hours, but we'll let you know by email when it's ready.


This was shocking. It didn't really take hours... but it did take a little longer than youtube (to the naked eye)

The other thing is that youtube seems to serve up their content faster. I guess you win some you loose some :-p

Enjoy!

**ALSO! the brightcove code doesn't render right in my firefox! WOW... They need to fix that ASAP, or they will fail big time :-p

***Thanks to Mikey from the Brightcove Team for noticing what was broken, and telling me how to fix it. This problem was more of my fault (or maybe bloggers fault: I'm not sure), and less of brightcove's.
Also, I did modify the code a little bit to make this window fit better in the blog...

No comments: