Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Root Canal

Sorry I'm late on my post this morning... I was at the dentist, and it went a little longer than expected.

In 1998, I had a deep cavity on my number 14 tooth (one of the top left molars), and when it was drilled, a nerve was exposed. That tooth has been trouble ever since.

The original plan for today was to go in, and redo the filling, as a new cavity was starting to emerge where the old one had filled. But after taking X-rays, my dentist decided it would be best to do a root canal, since one of the nerves appeared to be infected.

Root Canals are not as painful as they depict them on T.V., though I suppose the drugs might not have worn off yet. Also, I suppose some people get them when the problem is worse, and it probably hurts a lot more.

Anyway, Since I was late on my post, I decided I would have to get something real good... so I got this:

Taken at Mountain Park Dentistry (on 48th st and Chandler)
By Doctor Randy Mow, using a small optical camera
June 27, 2008
What you are looking at, is my number 14 tooth, hollowed out. Each of the dark spots is where they drilled deep into the tooth to remove the nerves of the tooth.

Unfortunately there were some time issues due to a file breaking while inside of the tooth, and needing to be removed. Near the end the drugs started to wear off, and the open tooth started to cause some major pain. Due to time constraints, they have temporarily filled it, and will need to follow up to remove the temporary filling, and do the permanent one.

Thanks to the crew at Mountain Park Dentistry, and Dr. Mow for this super cool view of the tooth that most of us never get to see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's natural for people to act in fear before the procedure, due to the influence of TV showing root canals being painful, which is not, since you are being administered anesthetics and your roots are being killed due to infection or exposure (which gives a lot of pain).

The root canal experience was pretty smooth for me, since the Hendersonville, TN dentist did their job well to keep my pain levels in check.